Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Ringing in Two-thousand Ten

Yeni Illiniz Mubarek,

So Happy New Year to all. We officially rang in the new year in Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan, ten hours ahead of our family hailing from the middle west section of America. The city was packed, and several Volunteers came in from the reyons to celebrate. Good times were had by all, so I think. We shared a hotel downtown with another married couple. The cleanliness left quite a bit to be desired, but it served its purpose. Most if not all the Volunteers stayed here. One of the best parts of heading into town was the fact that we were able to get ahold of some delicious food. On New Years night we got a bite to eat at our first stop, Finnegan's Irish Pub. The burgers are amazing. The next day for lunch we found a Chinese restaraunt, which was also, very good. Before leaving we found a coffee shop, Travelers Coffee. Alicia and I splurged and shared a french press with a piece of chocolate cheese cake. Worth every qepik.
It was a quick trip up and back, but it was nice to catch up with the other Volunteers. Vacation is nearly over here and Alicia is about to start back up at school. We've been taking it easy these last couple days, time to get back into the swing of things. I'm trying to start an English Club this month. It's more difficult than I thought to find people, but my counterpart and I are going to head over to the local community college to find prospective students. We'll see. Take care. Hope everyone had a safe and fun New Year, however you decided to celebrate. To those of you who made New Years resolutions, good luck. Until next time....

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mrs. Johnson!!!!!
    i hope you had a very merry christmas!!! i found a saying that pretty much sums my whole life up in just 10 words (including shorthand) and it is,"I'm not random. I'm just. OMG! Do you like tacos?!!" haha totally me, ehh! oh and Mrs. McCleod is the new teacher in your old room and i stop by everyday headed to seminar and tell her hi. she finally learned my name. OH and Keep Mrs. Scoville in your prayers please because she was gone for the WHOLE month of November and was supposed to be back in December but wasn't because she was recovering form her sergery. She now has only one boob. ahaha. but thats not funny. Oh and one last thing. Jesus, Johnica Hanke, my great grandmother (the one that passed away in 08 while i was in your class 8'[), and YOU are my HEROs. your one of my heros because you were the most awesomest teacher i have had! well post yah later!!
    The whitest kid you know and also your fav student!,
    Sadie Sullivan! 8))

    ReplyDelete